Tuesday, June 1, 2010

On the road to publication

I spent the last 4 days working full time on bringing my site up to speed... I'm ashamed to say I wasn't even on Twitter until two days ago. A techno geek like me should probably be ashamed for not jumping on the tweetie bandwagon before, but I really had no reason to!

Now that everything is up and working, I thought I could celebrate by writing my first serious blog post! I plan, in a few posts, to explain my journey and the writing process that gave life to TRINITY.

The road to publication has been a rocky, crazy business. And I mean, bat shit crazy (what a curious expression).

It all began in October 2009. For the first time since high school, I took an English literature class (called Reading for the Humanities, at the University of Montreal, if you care) to spice things up. The 2009-2010 academic year was suppose to be a calm and easy year, while I tried to figure out which direction I wanted to take after dropping out of medical school.

The assignment came, and I had to read GUNS, GERMS & STEEL. BANG! One line and I was already obsessed with the Maya. Ideas began to pop in my heads... ideas became sounds, then images, until it was like a LIVE ACTION MOVIE (the best in the entire universe) in my head. Slightly disturbing, but it was awesome.

While reading a novel (I believe it was NIGHTWATCH by Sergei Lukyanenko, an awesome paranormal urban fantasy. Usually not my genre, but a good friend recommended it), I thought about a plot that might be cool to read. Just cool, and fun. Entertaining.

Then I thought: maybe I could do it.

I began to outline the novel... all three of them, before I even started to write. I wanted to make sure I'd have a VERY solid plot. By December 2009, I had maps, drawings, notes, timelines and more notes that covered the ideas behind TRINITY. No character names though.

I wrote my very first page on December 9th 2009. It was the first snow of winter, and the day before my birthday. I remember the entire day very well. Two days later, my father announced he had cancer.

At that point, whatever doubt or reservation I had about my plan to write a book vanished. On Friday, December 11th 2009, the decision was made: I was going to finish writing the novel no matter what. I wouldn't give up, and I'd hold on to my dream.

Six months, four drafts, two critique partners, one beta reader and a gazillion hours later, I had a manuscript I was happy with. Right now, the full manuscript is sitting in the office of two literary agents, one of whom is my dream agent. There's also a partial out there, and quite a few rejections.

But I won't give up.


No comments: